The Academies Act 2010 enables all types of schools to apply to the Department for Education for Academy status. The Academy Conversion Process can take approximately 3 months consultation to implementation. At Legal4schools we have experience of working with a number of schools converting to Academies and have worked with community schools, foundation schools, trust schools and special schools.
When converting to an academy, the Governing Body will need advice on a number of areas including -finance, human resources, property and legal advice. As a specialist legal practice for schools, we are also able to advise headteachers and governors on the merits of becoming an Academy and on the Academy Conversion process, in particular:
- The consequences of changing status to an Academy and the process to be followed
- Ensuring effective consultation with employees and parents
- The employment issues which will need to be considered
- Dealing with the transfer of land, assets and facilities provided by the school (i.e. Children's Centres, Sports facilities, Special Educational needs resources)
- Agreeing the Commercial Transfer Agreement with the Local Authority
- Establishing the Academy Trust, a private company limited by guarantee, which will be responsible for running the Academy
- Advising on the duties of the Members and Directors
- Supporting you in finalising a funding agreement with the Department for Education and advising you on the key terms
If you would like more information about the legal services we offer to schools seeking to convert please download our Academy Conversion Services leaflet.